Monday, July 6, 2015

Absolutely Delicious Clean Vegetarian Burritos

I recently made the decision to cut back on factory-produced meat and animal products.  I'm not really going vegetarian, because I'm still occasionally eating meat and eggs and fish, but I'm taking steps toward mostly eating animal products that are "cruelty-free."  So when my family has, say, tacos and burritos, I make my own animal-friendly version.  But don't be fooled by it being labeled "vegetarian"--this burrito is every bit as flavorful as its ground-beef counterpart!  I'll bet even die-hard meat eaters would fall in love with this one!


Ingredients:

1 Tbsp Olive oil
1/2 cup frozen mixture of chopped onions and bell peppers (or you can use fresh)
1 cup home-cooked black beans (or you can use canned)
1/4 cup frozen corn
1/4 cup already-cooked brown rice
1 Tbsp cumin (adjust to taste; I personally LOVE cumin, so I add more!)
2 tsp dried cilantro (or 4 tsp fresh)
1/4 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp onion powder
Salt to taste

Directions:

Heat a skillet (I prefer an iron skillet) with the olive oil over medium heat.  Add the onion and pepper mixture and saute until soft.  Add the rest of the ingredients and and cook until heated through.

Wrap it up in either a low-carb or whole wheat tortilla or a large lettuce leaf and enjoy!

Tips:

If after adding the spices the mixture seems too dry, try adding a little water.

After wrapping it up in the tortilla, I like to put it back in the skillet and toast each side for a few seconds.  Talk about YUM!!


Do you have any clean and delicious vegetarian recipes?  If so, share them below, or let me know what you think of the one above!




No comments:

Post a Comment